Metacity upgrade method - am I an idgit?

Hi,

It's most likely me, but I'm having a few problems upgrading metacity on RH
8.0.

I'm looking for a couple of pointers (or a more experienced voice) on the
best method for doing this.

Idgit bit follows:

My method of installation was...

1) Leave the RH 8.0 supplied metacity rpm installed
2) Compile metacity from source (2.4.34 at time of this writing).
  ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/metacity && make && make install

  I assume this places the new schemas in the /etc/gconf/ (etc) folder..?

3) Replace the default redhat metacity (typed in Xterm)
  /usr/local/metacity/bin/metacity --replace &

This seems to work and alters the look of the desktop.  I.E. The 'theme'
changes to a new, squarer version.

I have a couple of questions following this method.

Firstly - is this the right method?   I'm only assuming it is as when I
remove the RPM before installing from source (to /usr/local/ as above) I
have to manually place windows onto the X desktop.  Perhaps someone could
explain why this happens when the RPM is removed?

Secondly, when I disable (I remove the <Alt> String from the key) to
mouse_button_modifier (so that I can use Maya) by using GConf2 (as supplied
with 8.0) this doesn't affect metacity (I could swear it did in previous
versions...).

To try and fix this, I also compiled metacity with --enable-config-dialog in
the hope that this may change the Metacity<->GConf2 behaviour, but I may be
making a bad assumption here.  If this isn't the case perhaps someone could
also explain the use of this flag?

As this didn't work - I hand edited the schemas in apps/metacity/general and
removed all the &lt;Alt&gt; text from between the <string></string>
delimiters for the correct <event> section in the file.  This didn't affect
the behaviour.  I'm not even sure this is the correct thing to be doing, but
it was worth a try!

Any ideas / pointers / explanations would be highly appreciated.

Best regards,

Jez
--
Jez Tucker
Graphics SysAdmin

[ Computers are useless.  They can only give you answers. -- Pablo Picasso ]

Rushes Postproduction Limited, 66 Old Compton Street, London W1D 4UH
tel: (+44) 020 7437 8676 web: http://www.rushes.co.uk
The information contained in this e-mail is confidential and may be subject to legal privilege. If you are not the intended recipient, you must not use, copy, distribute or disclose the e-mail or any part of its contents or take any action in reliance on it. If you have received this e-mail in error, please e-mail the sender by replying to this message. All reasonable precautions have been taken to ensure no viruses are present in this e-mail. Rushes Postproduction Limited cannot accept responsibility for loss or damage arising from the use of this e-mail or attachments and recommend that you subject these to your virus checking procedures prior to use.