gtk themes w/ redhat 9

I've just finished installing RedHat 9.  I am having some trouble
installing new themes.

When using gnome-theme-manager (from control-center-2.2.0.1-9),
installation of new themes always seems to fail.  The themes already
installed work well enough, but themes I download from
http://themes.freshmeat.net or http://art.gnome.org are never
successful.  No error message is generated -- instead, the new themes
never show up in the list of installed themes.

Manually editing the gtkrc files in my home directory doesn't seem to
work either.  I have also tried gtk-theme-switch-2.0.0rc2 with the same
results.

I will be happy to provide any additional information.

Thanks for any help . . .

Clayton
--
jshoppa at acad dot stedwards dot edu