Re: How do I organise Gnome menus

Graeme Nichols wrote:

On Fri, 2003-02-07 at 02:53, Ashley Kitson wrote:
Hi

Using RH8.0 Linux, I don't seem to be able to configure the menus in any
way.  I can add to panels etc but not menus.  How is this done?  I'd
like to be able to set them up in a way that makes sense to me.

Kind regards
Ashley

Hello Ashley,

In Gnome 2 you cannot as far as I can ascertain. I posed the same
question here a few months back and never got a reply. That can be
interpreted as 'no one knew the answer' or 'the answer is so obvious it
doesn't warrant a reply'

You can edit/configure the menus in KDE. Right click on the RedHat icon
in the bottom left corner of the panel after KDE comes up.

Gnome 2 has cut right back on reconfigurability in preference to
simplicity. Some like it, I don't, even though I use Gnome 2.

You can however change the theme if you don't like the default. You will
find that in the menus.

With Gnome 2.2, there is a little bit of editing that can be done. You can remove some menu items, view properties, etc. Far from perfect, but it's a bone. It would be nice (and maybe it is possible, although far from intuitive) do be able to have user-defined menus in addition/instead of the system menu definitions. Would certainly be useful for kiosk type installs as well.