Installing and running redhat gnome in parallel with cvs

For the past few months i've been running cvs exclusively on my machine. However, now that I'm going back to school I need something that is a little bit more dependable :p What I'd like to do is set up two users. One that uses Redhat gnome and one that uses a jhbuild installed cvs gnome. In the past I've run into problems with searchpaths etc. I was wondering what other people do to get this work. Do they hack their bashrc file to first check /opt/gnome2/bin before /usr/bin? Any suggestions would be appreciated. dave
ps. Please cc me as I'm not on this list.