Tasklist Window Titles

Recently installing Red Hat 9 (was 7.3) I am dismayed that the buttons
in the tasklist panel don't always match the window's title.

Specifically, I usually have several copies of emacs open, and I can
set the window title on launching emacs with a:

  -title My\ Window\ Title

switch, but the button down in the panel doesn't match.

I can't find a way to change this behavior.  (Red Hat's preference
setting options have gotten so slim...)

Any suggestions?  I am not afraid to edit some XML (or maybe even
emacs lisp) if that is what it takes.

Thanks,

-kb, the Kent who has asked this question on a general Red Hat list,
with no luck.