FONTS and anti-aliasing

Ei! currently i'm using Gnome 1.4 that's included with Redhat 7.2 CD's... and i've observed that the fonts it uses are not very good... they are not anti-aliased... now i'm planning to upgrade to Gnome 2.2 and i already got the sources... I've seen the screen shots in the Gnome website and the fonts looked good...

I just want to know.. is fonts anti-aliased activated in 2.2 by default? or do i have to do some steps first...