Re: Gnome Root Warning

Thomas Dodd <ted cypress com> writes:

> Interesting. I know lots of admins that do it in Solaris and
> HP-UX all the time. Then again, They don't have any thing that
> asks for the root password when it's needed either. You can
> use xhost to allow root access to your display, and su, but
> then you have to use the commands by name, instead of the icons.
>
> Perhaps when they switch to GNOME they will fix this.

On Red Hat Linux there are a couple things, one is that when you "su"
root automatically has permission to connect to your display (I forget
why, it's some tweak we have), two is that all the root-requiring
tools should ask for the root password when you run them. And of
course in 8.0 there's the "you are authenticated" persistent state
so you don't have to type the password over and over when using a
series of tools. So there's much less need to run a whole session as
root, and the ultimate goal is to never require it.

Havoc