selecting "system-wide" font settings in GNOME2

I'm having a bit of trouble finding an easy to understand (i.e.
non-programmer :) document that explains how Gnome 2 will handle font
settings for various Gnome applications in a system wide fashion.  For
example, I need to make separate edits for font sizes in gnome-terminal,
gedit, pan, etc. if I want to increase the size of a font, instead of
making a change in the Gnome control center and having it take effect on
each of those applications.

Can someone provide me a link or nudge me in the right direction on
this?  I think GConf is the package that will handle what I am
interested in, but again I'm not completely sure.  I've found some good
articles on Pango and GTK 2 on IBM developerworks and this excellent
link (http://www106.pair.com/rhp/gnome-2-new.html), but I just don't see
the answer that I am looking for.

Thanks for any help.

Tom