Re: selecting "system-wide" font settings in GNOME2

Tom Georgoulias <tom georgoulias motorola com> writes:
> I'm having a bit of trouble finding an easy to understand (i.e.
> non-programmer :) document that explains how Gnome 2 will handle font
> settings for various Gnome applications in a system wide fashion.  For
> example, I need to make separate edits for font sizes in gnome-terminal,
> gedit, pan, etc. if I want to increase the size of a font, instead of
> making a change in the Gnome control center and having it take effect on
> each of those applications.

Well, in general apps should be using the system font, which is set in
the fonts control panel (Preferences->Fonts).

However some apps want to let you customize the font per-application,
so they don't use the system font. In those cases you have to set
the font for each application.

If an app has a per-app font for no good reason, then that should be
fixed.

gedit has a "use the font from the theme" option that should almost
certainly be turned on by default (that option also has kind of a bad
name, since the font does not normally come from the theme anymore,
but from the font control panel setting).

That option is probably a pretty good solution, whatever it's called,
so maybe you should file bug reports against apps with their own font
to suggest adding an option like this.

Havoc