Re: viewing and editing the "run command" field of a launcher

Peter Stein wrote:

Does anyone know how to do this? As a GNOME newbie I tried the intuitive thing which is right-clicking on an icon and selecting properties. Alas, no "run command". I have not been able to find any documentation that describes how to do this. Can gnome-desktop-item-edit be used for this? How about manual edits of configuration files, be they text or binary? TIA.

Actually, you did the right thing. So if you didn't see a "Command:" field, my guess is you had right clicked on an applet rather than a launcher (they look the same). To get a new launcher, right-click on an empty area of a panel and select Add to Panel -> Launcher... The Launcher Properties dialog has a help button.

There is a help item in the main menu. Select Core Desktop, then Working With Panels. Section 1.4 is about launchers.
-- David