viewing and editing the "run command" field of a launcher

Does anyone know how to do this? As a GNOME newbie I tried the intuitive thing which is right-clicking on an icon and selecting properties. Alas, no "run command". I have not been able to find any documentation that describes how to do this. Can gnome-desktop-item-edit be used for this? How about manual edits of configuration files, be they text or binary? TIA.