Re: No viewer for RPM files

On 17/04 2002 18:08 Havoc Pennington wrote:

José Romildo Malaquias <romildo uber com br> writes:
> The application that used to work with RPM files, letting one to
> look inside it and operate on their contents is gmc, not distributed
> anymore with Red Hat Linux. Remains the Midnight Commander (mc), a very
> good text based file manager capable of that. In fact, gmc is a
> like a GUI version of mc.

Well gmc isn't really an option here...
No. I knew gmc had this of course, but we switched to Nautilus some time back as that's the recommended desktop handler and because it is better than gmc in many other respects. Having said that, it's always disappointed me that Nautilus, being in a sense a re-write of gmc, misses some of its features.

But what I really had in mind was GnoRPM. I wouldn't exactly call that a "good app" either, mainly because it lacks some important package installation functionallity (like proper dependency resolution), but its a lot better than nothing at all.
> Another application that can do that is krusader
> (http://krusader.sf.net), a KDE application (that can be run without
> running the KDE desktop).

That might be interesting.

> > > Also, I thought GnomeVFS was supposed to be able to browse archive
> > > files by now, but it doesn't look like the functionality is there
in
> > > the desktop. Comments?
> >
> > It's never been implemented.
>
> I hope it will be implemented some day. Is there anybody
> working on this?

Not that I know of. But it would be great if someone did, because lots
of people request the feature.
What exactly is missing? It can't be the actual package handlers because they're in /usr/lib/vfs/extfs, as far as I can tell...

- Toralf