Re: No viewer for RPM files

On Wed, Apr 17, 2002 at 11:09:04AM -0400, Havoc Pennington wrote:

> Toralf Lund <toralf kscanners com> writes:
> > I notice that on a Red Hat + GNOMEhide setup using Nautilus, there is
> > no handler configured for RPM files. Why?
>
> Because there's no good app to handle them.

The application that used to work with RPM files, letting one to
look inside it and operate on their contents is gmc, not distributed
anymore with Red Hat Linux. Remains the Midnight Commander (mc), a very
good text based file manager capable of that. In fact, gmc is a
like a GUI version of mc.

Another application that can do that is krusader
(http://krusader.sf.net), a KDE application (that can be run without
running the KDE desktop).

> > Also, I thought GnomeVFS was supposed to be able to browse archive
> > files by now, but it doesn't look like the functionality is there in
> > the desktop. Comments?
>
> It's never been implemented.

I hope it will be implemented some day. Is there anybody
working on this?

Romildo
--
Prof. José Romildo Malaquias               Departamento de Computação
http://iceb.ufop.br/~romildo       Universidade Federal de Ouro Preto