GNOME-QA QA Meeting Minutes

Meeting summary: April 3, 2014

Chat Summary:

* sri: I have most of the action items :/ (14:42)
* sri: I haven't done any building of the community of manual testers yet
* shivani: I could help
* sri: I need to put a post up on foundation list (14:46)
* sri: I can handle g+ or maybe one of you would like to do it? (14:46)
* sri: I prefer letting newer members do this mostly because it gets your name out there. (14:46)
* shivani: sri: sure, it'll be great if you can guide me for the same (14:47)
* Gayathri: I can also help. let me know what I should do (14:47)
* sri: so, maybe I can give you two the task of getting manual testers (14:57)
* sri: 1) list of UI components that we are currently testing (14:58)
* sri: 2) we should ahve been working on that list, the past two weeks, but that didn't happen. (14:59)
* sri: so, if the two of you could meet and possibly with vrutkovs|away that would be awesome (14:59)
* sri: I already talked with marina bout opw, and I think that is fine.. but not sure if we have money to fund it.  That I will need to bottom out with marina, vrutkovs|away and myself. (15:00)
* sri: we still need to bring Gayathri up to speed on dogtail and writing automated tests. (15:00)
* sri: shivani can probably help you, and it's important that as you're learning that we document the process. (15:02)
* sri: actually, before we put out a call to the community, we should probably get the docs and the list of components working (15:03)
* sri: so, let's ramp up on getting the components and the tests. (15:08)
* sri: and then start documenting how to write them and then we bring in more people (15:08)
* sri: I need to figure out the manual testing work at some point (or if you guys have ideas, please propose) (15:09 )
* shivani: sure I'll ping in a list of components that we plan to work on during the summer (15:09)
* sri: stick it on the wiki (15:09)
* shivani will stick the components list onto the wiki in the mean time (15:11)
*(Gayathri) shivani: we were discussing about updating the dogtail page... (15:11)
* shivani: and me and Gayatri can work on documentation (15:11)
* shivani: and ofcourse writing tests is the primary focus for me (15:12)
* sri: well you know, how about we use hangouts next time? (15:14)

Action items:

* Gayathri and Shivani with the help of Sri build up a community of manual testers
* Sri to put a post up on foundation list
* Gayathri and Shivani to work on the documentation of dogtail
list of UI components we are currently testing
* candidate list of UI components we should be testing
<<< sri: I already talked with marina bout opw, and I think that is fine.. but not sure if we have money to fund it.  That I will need to bottom out with marina, vrutkovs|away and myself. (15:00)
* sri to discuss with marina and vrutkovs about OPW
shivani to prepare a list of components that we plan to work on during the summer and stick it onto wiki

Overall chat:

sri: let's gets goign.. see if we can wake up vrutkovs and see where we are.

14:41 vrutkovs: ah, I actually gotta go

14:41 shivani: hey vrutkovs :)

14:41 vrutkovs: shivani: hey

14:41 sri: vrutkovs: awww

14:42 vrutkovs: so my status is got minimal tests for evo and gcalc upstream

14:42 sri: vrutkovs: just send mail on the actions, that should be fine and also whatever else you want the team to be doing

14:42 vrutkovs: todo: make them run on continuous ;)

14:42 vrutkovs: aha, okay, I'll read the backlog later on

14:42 vrutkovs is now known as vrutkovs|away

14:42 sri: cool, thanks, vrutkovs|away !

14:42 sri: I have most of the action items :/

14:43 sri: I haven't done any building of the community of manual testers yet

14:44 shivani: sri:  Could be done by next week?

14:44 shivani: I could help

14:46 sri: I need to put a post up on foundation list

14:46 sri: shivani: that woudl be great!

14:46 sri: I can handle g+ or maybe one of you would like to do it?

14:46 shivani: great, lets put that in the to-do for next week

14:46 sri: I prefer letting newer members do this mostly because it gets your name out there.

14:46 shivani: I need to start catching up with vrutkovs|away on writing tests, havent been well the past couple of weeks , hope to do that now

14:46 sri: I ahven't been either

14:47 sri: for two weeks I've been sick with a cold.

14:47 shivani: sri: sure, it'll be great if you can guide me for the same

14:47 (Gayathri) I can also help. let me know what I should do

14:54 You have joined the channel #QA

14:55 (Gayathri) anyone there?

14:56 shivani: yep

14:57 sri: yeah

14:57 sri: sorry, I got pulled away by the installers

14:57 sri: getting interrupted.

14:57 sri: so, amybe I can give you two the task of getting manual testers

14:57 sri: I have one person who is interested in doing manual tests of extensions

14:58 sri: which Ithink should definitely be in scope because we always get feedback saying extensions are broken when they switch versions

14:58 sri: we probably don't want minimize that.

14:58 sri: er sorry we WANT to minimize that.

14:58 sri: so, looking at the task list we need to:

14:58 sri: 1) list of UI components that we are currently testing

14:59 sri: 2) we should ahve been working on that list, the past two weeks, but that didn't happen.

14:59 sri: I suggest we pick a midweek time to work on that..

14:59 sri: I unfortunately don't have that kind of time.. since I have a job that people pay me money to do :D

14:59 sri: so, if the two of you could meet and possibly with vrutkovs|away that would be awesome

14:59 sri: basically, I need the two of you to be leaders.

15:00 sri: I already talked with marina bout opw, and I think that is fine.. but not sure if we have money to fund it.  That I will need to bottom out with marina, vrutkovs|away and myself.

15:00 sri: we still need to bring Gayathri up to speed on dogtail and writing automated tests.

15:01 sri: any ideas on how to do that?

15:01 (Gayathri) i need to get some help from shivani or vrutkovs

15:02 sri: okay, so you should bug them throughout the week

15:02 (Gayathri) will do that..:)

15:02 sri: shivani can probably help you, and it's important that as you're learning that we document the process.

15:02 sri: so that other people can get up to speed as well.

15:02 sri: in fact, one good test woudl be to see if I can write a test :-)

15:02 shivani: We do have a temporary list of components we plan on working

15:03 sri: so if you can teach me, then I would say that docs would be good.

15:03 sri: actually, before we put out a call to the community, we should probably get the docs and the list of components working

15:03 sri: toherwise, you will have people coming in here asking what to do and then they'll get bored because we won't have an answer.

15:05 msimon (~martin static-84-242-103-180 net upcbroadband cz) has joined the channel.

15:05 sri: howdy msimon

15:05 msimon: hi all

15:06 shivani: sri: sure sounds like a better plan

15:06 shivani: hey msimon :)

15:06 (Gayathri) Hi

15:08 sri: anywys, I think that's a good place to start.

15:08 sri: so, let's ramp up on getting the comonents and the tests.

15:08 sri: er components

15:08 sri: and then start documenting how to write them and then we bring in more people

15:09 sri: I need to figure out the manual testing work at some point (or if you guys have ideas, please propose)

15:09 shivani: sure I'll ping in a list of components that we plan to work on during the summer

15:09 sri: stick it on the wiki

15:09 shivani: I had a conversation with vrutkovs|away regarding the same where he briefed me a bit about the same

15:09 sri: since we have a page now.

15:10 shivani: sure will do

15:10 shivani: yep good job on that Gayathri

15:10 shivani: :)

15:10 sri: and then we can start writing some tests. :)

15:10 sri: I would like to build some momentum.. so I"ll try to ping people on irc more

15:10 sri: I'm going to be gone for most of next week however :P

15:10 sri: I'll be at teh west coast hackfest with the GNOME core team

15:11 (Gayathri) thanks shivani :)

15:11 sri: which work paid for \o/

15:11 *shivani will stick the components list onto the wiki in the mean time

15:11 shivani: sri: lucky you :D

15:11 sri: shivani: awesome :)

15:11 (Gayathri) shivani: we were discussing about updating the dogtail page...

15:11 sri: I know, but then again the work tehyh are doing aligns perfectly with what we want at work.

15:11 shivani: and me and Gayatri can work on documentation

15:12 shivani: and ofcourse writing tests is the primary focus for me

15:12 sri: I would love to start doing audio calls, I just haven't gotten to fixing upt eh infrastructrure

15:12 sri: maybe if I get bored at the hackfest I can work on that.

15:12 shivani: sri: aure, till then this works well for me too :)

15:12 sri: sure

15:13 sri: when you use audio though, it definitely brings the team closer

15:13 sri: that's how it worked with engagement team, we got a lot more productive and worked better as a team

15:13 (Gayathri) that will be nice.

15:14 sri: well you know, how about we use hangouts next time?

15:14 shivani: sri: sure, you got more experience in that front :)

15:14 shivani: works for me

15:14 sri: that's what those crazy kids on teh release team are doing

15:15 sri: but it's not free software, but it might bridge teh gap

15:15 (Gayathri) we can do that

15:15 sri: cool

15:15 sri: let's do that for next time

15:16 sri: okay, if there isn't anything else.. we can close the meeting

15:17 sri: since the both of you are here, you could maybe spend a little time on the documentation and tests stuff perhaps?

15:17 (Gayathri) sure

15:18 sri: in fact use hangouts now :-) get it started!

15:22 msimon: by hangout you mean google hangouts, right? or am i missing something?

15:22 sri: yep