Re: guchar -> gchar?

On Wed, 2005-03-08 at 08:02 +0200, Lutz Müller wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-08-02 at 18:04 -0600, Andreas J. Guelzow wrote:
> > It will likely cause lots of warning messages in existing code using
> > guchar* to call those functions! Note that the real cause of the
> > warnings that you see is _not_ that those functions expect guchar* but
> > that you (or whoever wrote the code) is passing to them gchar*.
>
> strlen, strdup, strcpy all use char. The convention seems to use char
> for all (user readable) strings. I don't see added value for
> - casting strings to unsigned char when passing them to libgnomeprint
> - casting them to char within libgnomeprint
> - casting them to unsigned char when returning them
> - casting them to char for further use in the calling function.

This may have been an argument to use gchar* when gnomeprint was first
written, but you are arguing to _changge_ the types and to create
warnings for a large body of code that so far has coretly used that API.

I do not think that this is sufficient reason to break the API.

Andreas

--
Andreas J. Guelzow
Taliesin Software, Shelties, Pyr Sheps