Re: Printing woes

On Tue, 2004-07-20 at 16:45, frank wrote:
> Hi,
>

> It’s been 6 months since the first of these bug reports was filed (Bug
> 132732: lpd spools not showing and Bug, and 138941: gnome-print could
> detect all local printers automatically with etc/printcap) and I’ve
> been receiving almost daily complaints from my users regarding the
> inability of the print mechanism to handle lpd printers.  Sadly,
> questions to gnome-print-list receive no response.

Most (and I would like to claim that virtually all) questions to the
list receive answers. Of course frequently not the answer one might be
hoping for.

> I have found gnumeric to be a capable spreadsheet and we have invested
> considerable time in adapting excel spreadsheets to suit (taking out
> the macros).  It seems a shame to have to discard such a sound
> application for a reason as simple as problematic printing, but we are
> an engineering firm and have no capacity for programming.  We will
> begin testing alternate spreadsheets directly and will begin the
> transition from gnumeric shortly.

You really haven't ever explained why it is not feasible for you to run
cups, a printing system that is reasonably supported rather than the
ancient lpd.

> It is inconceivable that the anticipated Microsoft Windows version of
> gnumeric will demand a CUPS installation, so why the insistence for
> CUPS on Unix platforms?

Perhaps because the traditional /etc/printcap listing provides virtually
no information about the capabilities of a printer?

Andreas
--
Andreas J. Guelzow
Taliesin Software, Shelties, Pyr Sheps