Re: GPdf uses gnome-print

Owen Taylor <otaylor redhat com> writes:

> Martin Kretzschmar <m_kretzschmar gmx net> writes:
> [...]
>
>> These aliases are not configurable. Maybe this is good. But the only
>> hardwired aliases are serif, sans, mono. Would you accept a patch for
>> Times, Helvetica, Courier, Symbol and Zapf Dingbats (the font families
>> available with any PostScript printer and PDF viewer)?
>
> Please note that you *cannot* display the names Times, Helvetica, or
> Zapf Dingbats in a font selection dialog or dropdown unless these
> fonts (not clones) are actually on the system, since these names are
> trademarks.

Oh. The change I suggested would indeed make apps show these names in
a font selection dialog if they would get their list of fonts from
gnome-print.

(Stable versions of gnome-print (pre 2.1) are normally configured to do
this trademark-infringing thing!)

> It is acceptable to do font substitution with a similar font if
> a document requests one of these fonts. (And fontconfig can
> be configured to do this.)

For GPdf, only such font substitutions are necessary. My problem is
that gnome-print doesn't use fontconfig for font matching. I'll have
to call fontconfig directly to do the matching, extract the real font
face name and use that in gnome-print, I guess.

Thanks,
	Martin