Re: [Gnome-print] .fontmap files proposal

Hello!

On Mon, 2001-09-10 at 03:47, Owen Taylor wrote:
> Lauris Kaplinski <lauris@ximian.com> writes:
>
> > 2. Files
> > Instead of single fontmap files, there will be catalogues of files:
> >
> > $prefix/share/fonts
> > $home/.gnome/fonts
> > $sysconfdir/fonts
> >
> > I am not sure about the last one, but $prefix (/usr usually) is not
> > intended to be machine specific, so there has to be palce, where
> > sysadmin can put global fonts.
> > Only files matching *.fontmap pattern are loaded.
> > Files are loaded in alphabetic order.
> > Directory order is:
>
> My main comment here would be that unless something is actually
> standardized, we shouldn't be tromping on a generic namespace
> like $sysconfdir/fonts/. It's the same reason why
> gtk_widget_show() isn't widget_show().
>
> The current Red Hat gnome-print RPMs use /etc/gnome/fonts/fontmap2
> as the fontmap location, and I think it would be good if
> the upstream packages used /etc/gnome/fonts as well.
>
> (The Red Hat packages also install the .font files in
> /usr/share/gnome-print/fonts rather than in /usr/share/fonts
> on the same principle.)

Agree. I too was worried about resource-trashing.

Then, maybe we should avoid /usr/share pollution too, and use
nice and clean layout instead:

/usr/share/gnome/fonts
/etc/gnome/fonts
~/.gnome/fonts

Gnome packages use /usr/share extensively, so it is becoming more and
more mess.

Thank you for feedback!

Lauris Kaplinski