[Gnome-print] .fontmap files proposal

Hello!

Following the baby-step principle, this is my plan to change fontmap
handling:

1. Format.
Remains the same, i.e.

  <file type="afm" ...>
  <file type="pfb" ...>

Except:

- font format "truetype" is permitted (although no-op at moment)
- there will be "hidden" and "inactive" attributes
a) hidden font does not show in font list, but has entry - i.e. can be
   selected by full name
b) inactive font does not exist (actually it forbids other font with
   same fontname to be loaded from some other fontmap)
- Fontmap version will be "2.1"

2. Files
Instead of single fontmap files, there will be catalogues of files:

$prefix/share/fonts
$home/.gnome/fonts
$sysconfdir/fonts

I am not sure about the last one, but $prefix (/usr usually) is not
intended to be machine specific, so there has to be palce, where
sysadmin can put global fonts.
Only files matching *.fontmap pattern are loaded.
Files are loaded in alphabetic order.
Directory order is:

$home, $sysconfdir, $prefix

So local versions always have precedence.

This all requires minimal tweaking, and solves most urgent problem -
we do not have to execute gnome-font-install during binary package
installation time, but instead will ship series of platform
specific .fontmap files.

I am not very happy about:
a) preserving old format (but this allows us to start with minimal
   breakage)
b) messing different .fontmap versions into same directory - but
   we cannot use "VERSION" subdir here - because .fontmap files are
   intended to be installed by separate packages (like gs-fonts,
   x-fonts), and gnome-print, if upgraded still has to find the
   fonts.

Any quick comments? Something completely broken?

Best wishes,
Lauris Kaplinski