[Gnome-print] Re: Gnome-print 0.30 is out

Hello!

On Sat, 2001-10-06 at 02:08, jgotts@linuxsavvy.com wrote:
> >I have decided to go ahead by releasing single feature update a
> >time. And single, most important feature was - guess it - neither
> >TrueType support, nor OMNi inkjet driver, but instead more sensible
> >fontmap location.
>
> >Read installer/README.installer and README.binaries for more
> >information about fontmap changes. It is designed with binary packages
> >in mind, so hopefully we'll get rid of 'broken fontmap after installing
> >gnome-print-whatever.rpm' syndrome.
>
> This is the first I've heard of the problem since I modified the spec file to
> actually function in conjunction with the newly added fontmap file about a year
> ago:

There has not been a flood of bug reports, yes ;-)
The main problem is, that there are many rpm files floating around, and
those often do not play well together. The main cause of confusion was
'gnome-font-install' program, that usually is run from binary
postinstall.
Sometime it fails - whether there is problem with ghostscript (it need
gs to determine font paths), or some other subtle reason. As a result
gnumeric, evolution, abiword etc. start getting bugreports, that
(hopefully) will reach evetually me - but that may take quite a long
time.

So I hope the new fontmap layout does encourage package builders to ship
several fontmap files in binary (it can still run installer, in case
there is something more on user system) - so if installer fails, the
well known fonts will still be available.

Best wishes,
Lauris Kaplinski