Re: [Gnome-print] Future Changes in Gnome Print.

> I think we will need to "incorporate" the contents from the PPD file
> into our stuff for one single reason: PPD is only supposed to work for
> Postscript printers, and we really need a solution for everything, not
> just Postscript.

Will you incorporate the PostScript code for each option from the PPD
into the XML profile? In order to really utilize the full potential of
the PPD file, you need this code.

I think it makes very good sense to utilize the same XML profile for all
printer types as it would provide for a consistent way to recognize all
printers. I just wonder whether, for PostScript printers, this profile
should be used to the exclusion of the PPD file instead of in
conjunction with the PPD file.

I think you will find that there are many items from the PPD file that
you will need to include in the profile that are quite specific to
PostScript printers. Therefore, you may be unnecessarily inflating the
printer profile with PS specific stuff when a more general profile for
all printer types would be much easier to use/create. A leaner profile
plus a PPD file may be the best solution for PS printers.

Anyway, it's just a thought. But, I would hate to completely reinvent
the wheel if it's not absolutely necessary.

--

Thomas Hubbell
CompuMetric Labs, Inc.