Re: [Gnome-print] Future Changes in Gnome Print.

Miguel de Icaza wrote:

> 1. Printer Profiles.
>         <printer>
>            <guid>947adab1-9fc1-4823-95a5-04a79146fa50</guid>
>            <vendor>Hewlett Packard</vendor>
>            <model>XXX</model>
>            <gnome-print-driver>PCL</gnome-print-driver>
>            <resolutions>
>               <resolution type="bw">150</resolution>
>               <resolution type="bw">300</resolution>
>               <resolution type="bw">Color600</resolution>
>               <resolution type="cmyk">300x600</resolution>
>            </resolutions>
>
>            <features driver="pcl">
>               something or other
>            </features>
>         </printer>

It seems that, from this XML description, it would be quite easy to
construct a user interface. Then you wouldn't need the UPDF format, I
suppose.

For PostScript printers, do you intend that this XML description would
replace the need for the PPD file? If libppd integrates with
gnome-print, you will still need a ppd file, but I was wondering if you
thought this profile would serve all of your purposes.

In either case (profile alone or profile + ppd), it should be relatively
easy to develop a script to extract all the printer profile information
from the existing PPD files. The ppd file lists all of the features,
resolutions, etc. and it would be a simple matter to pull all the needed
information from the ppd file into profile. This would automatically
give your profiles for every PS printer with a PPD file (which should be
every PS printer in existence!)

--

Thomas Hubbell
CompuMetric Labs, Inc.