Re: [Gnome-print] Re: [Gimp-print-devel] An introduction to gnome-print (fwd)

> > What's broken is LPD, and the sooner we eliminate LPD from the scene
> > the better.
>
> Among other things.

Working on a new version of LPR right now.

1st release is going to have
    -o and support for PS options (Funded work - done)
    automake/autoconf (almost done)
    lots of code cleanup (ongoing)
    library interface to printcap (e.g. enumerate printers, add
printcap entry.)
    library interface to print spooler functions (i.e. C call to
submit job, fetch Q...)
    queue monitoring interface/api (funded work - rather large project
details later)
    gnome-printtool

Future plans include:
       Depricate LPR protocol maybe use IPP. Last year I would have
       gone whole heartedly into IPP. However, after talking to
       several printer vendors. I am not as convinced that it is the
       way to go.

-ben