[Gnome-print] Re: [Gimp-print-devel] An introduction to gnome-print (fwd)

   From: Miguel de Icaza <miguel@helixcode.com>
   Date: 31 May 2000 20:39:29 -0400

   Those numbers do not match what Chema has been getting from his PCL
   driver.  It matches the lame case, but not any case with the smallest
   ammount of optimization.

I said ESCP/2 raster, not PCL.  Most (if not all) of the current crop
of Epson printers are strictly raster printers.  These are really
"dumb" printers -- not poorly designed, just with no intelligence in
the firmware.  There is compression capability, and it works fairly
well in many cases, but not in all.

I dumped my resume (formatted text, all black) to a print file for the
870.  It's one page.  This print file is 5 MB, so it achieved about
90% compression from a pure photo.  With any significant amount of
color, or graphics, it would blow up enormously.

   Anyways, that is not the point.  We have a Postscript driver, want to
   use that instead of an Epson, click on "driver" and select
   "Postscript", then click "Print".

   Am I missing something?

If I use "a" Postscript driver, how do I select the correct PPD file
and get all of the capabilities of my Epson printer?