[Gnome-print] Re: [Gimp-print-devel] An introduction to gnome-print (fwd)

> It's GPL.  You're welcome to use it in any GPL project.  I'd be happy
> to help you (with whatever time I have; I'm already stretched rather
> thin), but I want to make sure you know what you're doing here.  I
> don't particularly agree with the direction you're trying to take
> (doing the rendering yourself), and I think you're just going to get
> into trouble in the long run by doing that.

Ok, so we can not use that code.  Because we want gnome-print to be
LGPL.   We will have to rewrite the drivers, and redo all the nice
techniques that you have developed in gimp-print for gnome-print.

> And yes, I say that from the perspective of someone who's already gone
> there.  The application -- and application libraries -- isn't the
> place to be doing rendering.  Device libraries and drivers should be
> doing that.

How come?

As an application programmer I dont care where the rendering is done,
as far as it gets done.  What is the problem with having the library
code do it instead of a printer, or an external process?

>    I did not say that.  Did I?  I forget saying that.
>
> http://developer.gnome.org/arch/imaging/printing.html:

That is Raph Levien's original paper on Gnome Print.

And if you tell me that I am wrong doing that, then I am willing to
change whatever needs to be changed to fix it.  I am a maleable man.

Miguel.