Re: [Gnome-print] Re: [Gimp-print-devel] An introduction to gnome-print(fwd)

> The great strength of Unix, and the reason it's still going strong
> after 30+ years -- more than half of the lifetime of the digital
> computer -- is the philosophy and implementation of a lot of small,
> simple tools that can be combined in very powerful ways to get a lot
> done.  Having everything glommed together in a huge, monolithic system
> without clear architectural boundaries becomes unmaintainable.  THAT'S
> my main problem with all this.

Oh, and Unix has clear architectural boundaries in its printing
subsystem?  I am shocked.  I must have been using the wrong Unix.

I am sorry, but the "component" system in Unix is not going to scale
for the future.  We need a new foundation, please read:

	http://www.helixcode.com/tech/bonobo.php3

> If you focused on providing true application print services -- and as
> I said, this Caanvas idea sounds really great in that regard, since it
> provides a really nice way abstract drawable interface for
> applications -- I think you could really push the state of the art in
> terms of Unix.

This is what we are doing.

> Incorporate a real color management system like
> Karl-Heinz Kremer is developing, and you'd have something really
> powerful.  But you don't need to, and shouldn't (IMHO) be trying to
> play around in the back end.  You understand the desktop environment
> pretty well, but I really don't think you understand what life is like
> in big-iron IT land.  That's what Mike and I keep trying to tell you.

I think you guys keep trying to tell me something that I already know:
I am arguing for having native printer drivers, and your solution is
always convoluted and failing to miss the point.

Hey, I even got a reply to a driver architecture that was `you should
not be doing that, but use IPP'.   Which makes me wonder how much
attention you guys have been paying to my posts.

Miguel.