Re: [gpm] =?iso-8859-2?q?ACPI_S1_-_Standby?=

Hello Richard,

first just a Note:

If someone ask in Forum a question: "How to do something", then the
Answer, which absolutely do NOT want hear is such containing only:
"Why do you want to do that ?".

But even if it should be clear - I will answer:

Why not!   - just a joke :-)

Why it is useful - it is NOT good idea to switch off computer for
e.g. just 20 - 40 minutes. Electronic and mechanic components are
very stressed by on/off (cold down - warm up, great current peaks,
...).

This is the reason why clever authors of APM, ACPI use not just
S3/4, but even S1 state!
BTW: on some PCs do not work S3 properly - so S1 is only
alternative.

So it is bat thing, that GNOME (its power manager) do not let this
possibility  (S1) and moreover do not let such elementary thing like
suspending monitors!

--kapetr