[gpm] brightness problem solved by upgrade -- but ...

I now notice a new problem.
When I've not touched the keyboard for a while, the screen starts to
go dark slowly.  It used to be that if I pressed a key or moved the
mouse it would immediately return to normal brightness.  However I now
see *sometimes* (I don't know what causes the difference) that it
continues to go dark and finally when it gets there, then it
brightens.  If the whole process were much faster it wouldn't bother
me so much.
Any explanations or solutions?