[gpm] ongoing issues for ~ 2 years with gnome-power-manager and nvidia cards older than gf8000

Dear List subscribers and software maintainers.

As you may know there are ongoing discussion about the problem to use GPM to increase and decrease the brightness level on machines with Nvidia cards older than 8000, e.g. my 7600go
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/hotkey-setup/+bug/277589?comments=all

atm it still looks like the issue which got a workaround some time ago isn't solved.

To repeat the behaviour:

pressing FN + F5 (brightness down)
- i get the visual message which indicates that the key is recognized
- but only the status bar changes the screen doesn't
- strange thing the maximum is seems to be wrong - the bar starts at the left side see screenshot

pressing FN + F6 (brightness up)
- the bar goes up, but only to the maximum shown in the screenshot - pressing again it starts one step back and goes to max. again.
- again no change to brightness

Changeing brightness in generalll work very well with

Usage: smartdimmer [OPTION]...

-g  --get Query brightness level.
-s  --set <level> Set brightness level (15-100)
-i  --increase Increase brightness with one level.
-d  --decrease Decrease brightness with one level.
-h  --help Prints this help text.

So I guess there is some kind of mislinked configuration - and would be pleasant if you'd help me to solve this bug.

PS: pls note I'm not subsribed to your list !
Kindest Regards
Benedict Stein