Re: [gpm] how to force screen to go off

On 11.12.2009 09:26, Laurent Martin wrote:
Hello,

I want to force my screen to go in sleep mode.
(because the off button is broken).
I used to do:
xset dpms force off

but due to a change in gnome-power-manager (I use 2.28.1) , I guess,
this does not work anymore:

Any plan, hints, etc... to get into force screen off mode ?

You could try using xrandr. I'm not sure how it works internally, maybe it actually does the same thing, but that's what I use.

Run
$ xrandr
to see which outputs you have. In my case it's VGA1 and LVDS1.

Then turn it off like so:
$ xrandr --output LVDS1 --off
or
$ xrandr --output VGA1 --off

And one way of turning it back on again is this:
$ xrandr --output LVDS1 --auto