[gpm] Disabling backlight control entirely

Hello,

Gnome-power-manager's method of controlling backlight settings, as of
Ubuntu 9.04, is completely broken. I don't have time to mess with this
right now, so I am not going to test the current development version,
toy with alpha versions of Ubuntu, patch things...etc. Next summer I
will put in the time and effort to fix it for real.

However, I really would like to know how to forbid gpm from making any
changes to my backlight level. The hardware is completely competent at
remembering and handling this setting, whereas gpm is setting the
brightness to arbitrary levels every minute or so. I can file a more
thorough bug report in the proper channel at a later date.

I just want to turn it off right now, and my bit of searching didn't
turn anything up.

Please help.
Jacob