[gpm] gnome-session blinken IDLETIME problem

Okay, after having F11 g-p-m blank the screen on me (not using
nouveau, that's a separate issue) whilst watching some short videos in
totem yesterday, I got really angry.

I've audited all the IDLETIME code in gnome-power-manager, and when
I've run it in a console and watched the output, it all seems to work
100% okay. It only seems to fall over gnome-session is involved with
handling inhibits.

So, we have working:

GPMIDLEDEBUG=1 gnome-power-manager

...wait 10 seconds...

IDLETIME fires the idle alarm expired (and g-p-m dims the screen)

...move the mouse...

IDLETIME fires the reset alarm expired

then I issue an inhibit request to org.gnome.SessionManager with
parameters ('moo',0,'testing',8) using d-feet and get back a cookie
like normal. Session becomes inhibited.

...wait 10 seconds...

IDLETIME fires the idle alarm expired (but g-p-m doesn't dim the
screen, as the session is inhibited from totem)

...move the mouse...

NOTHING. No event from X.

...close d-feet...

the inhibit gets auto-revoked, session becomes non-inhibited, and
g-p-m assumes that x has been idle for a long time, and also the
session is not inhibited, and so switches off the screen. You can see
this using GPMIDLEDEBUG as the second icon is a box, not a computer
icon.

Now g-p-m is confused, and has to be restarted before it will reset
the new idletime counter. You can't reproduce with the original
idlecounter-demo program when using XNextEvent, but you can as soon as
you hook into gdk with gdk_window_add_filter. It really looks like
something is doing GDK_FILTER_REMOVE on the reset alarm at some point.

As an aside, it appears totem is inhibiting using gnome-screensaver as
a proxy, although I don't this this is the problem as it also can be
done using d-feet.

After looking in the forums, this problem looks like it's triggered
lots, and by many different users. I would appreciate any help here.