[gpm] Display Brightness Control on Compaq Presario F700 / HP6000

Hello all, I hope to be welcome here =)

Some days ago I bought a really cheap Compaq Presario F754LA, upgraded
to 2Gb, installed Debian Lenny and well overall I'm very very happy
n.n
it seems a lot of people around the world are buying this F700 series
now because of their very low price and they're installing linux cos
vista makes this hardware unusable.

My problem is this:

Gnome Brightness Applet do not detect my hardware; I'cant control
display brightness. And I couldn't find a way to control brightness by
means of another program or method. This is importar for power
consumption, I know for sure that high (default) backlight brightness
really impacts on battery life (let apart that it also impacts heavy
in my eyes t.t)

With a little searching I found this:
(a guy who installed ubuntu and it seems he can control display
brightness, well almost)

He has an HP G6000 series (NVIDIA GeForce7000M/nForce 610M)..
basically the same hardware than all F700 series and at least the
exact same motherboard as stated on this Compaq/HP service manual:
http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c01295900.pdf

So my question is:

there is any support to backlight dimming on HP G6000? there is any
way to force it to work here (F700) for testing?
or.. there is support for dimming specifically for the Compaq F700
series or any relatively new Compaq model at all so I can test?
support for backlight dimming is embedded on the applet/gnome power
manager or it is a kernel module?

Thanks =)!