Re: [gpm] gnome power manager logging

Hi Joey,

2008/3/11, Joey Prestia <joey linuxamd com>:
> Does the gnome power manager log to any specific place. I can find
>  nothing in my /var/log/messages and would like to test the system
>  shutdown I have a apc 1500 and noticed gnome power manager recognized
>  it. As i am running this system with critical data I would like to make
>  sure  I can verify it is taking care of software shutdown properly but
>  can not find anything in my logs when i yank the plug for a few minutes.
>  I am running RHEL 5 and xen kernel on a dell powredge 1900

the fact that GPM recognize your UPS is due to an addon (either the
legacy HAL hiddev addon or the newer ushid-ups from NUT).

The problem is that the integration is incomplete and there are
chances that the shutdown condition is not handled properly. Moreover,
the IPM (Integrated Power Management ; codename of the project to
fully integrate UPS support with HAL / GPM and the like) still misses
an important point: the UPS poweroff at the end of a power failure
cycle. Without this, your PC won't boot back when the power is
restored.

So I encourage you to stick with NUT for the moment, while waiting for
this beta feature (IPM) to be complete.

Arnaud
--
Linux / Unix Expert R&D - MGE Office Protection Systems - http://www.mgeops.com