Re: [gpm] some question about hotkeys on an IBM Thinkpad T42

On Thu, 2008-06-12 at 11:57 +0000, Paul Ionescu wrote:
> I have a Thinkpad T42 with Fedora 9 up to date that has hardware volume
> keys (sound up/down and mute).
> In Fedora 8, I had visual feedback (OSD) when I pressed the volume keys,
> but not any more for Fedora 9.

Right, I'm guessing you're using a new thinkpad-acpi.

> I had a look in /usr/share/hal/fdi/information/10freedesktop/30-keymap-
> module-thinkpad-acpi.fdi and there are no mappings for the sound keys.
> I know for sure that the keys were working in Fedora 8.
> Is there any reason that the keys are not mapped anymore in Fedora 9 ?

Well, the ways the keys are mapped was changed. In F8, we relied on the
conversion of acpi events to HAL ButtonPressed events. This is, and
always was, a bit of a bodge. Now that F9 has brought the new
thinkpad-acpi code that allows programmable buttons to be remapped we
can do this properly; unfortunately this might mean adding stuff to the
HAL xml files.

> If I manually add the keys in the .fdi file, the OSD work again, but it
> should work by default.

Right - see the hal quirk site for instructions on how to submit them.

> Oh, and another thing is that the hardware "mute" button on this thinkpad
> is not toggle, but only mute, so how can we properly configure this as a
> mute only ?

Sure, that should just work when you map it - it seem to work for me on
this T61 I'm using.

Hope that helps,