[gpm] Wheel/Scroll over icon

The hardware controls for brightness do not work on many laptops. Also, while
they work on my laptop, the power manager just resets the brightness a few
seconds after I change it with the hardware buttons.

What I would like is if the brightness for the current mode could be access
without going to the preferences screen. The volume applet lets you adjust
the volume by mousing over the icon and sending wheel/scroll signals to
adjust the levels.

Perhaps the power manager icon could change the brightness of the current mode
(AC on AC and Batt if on Batt), when it receives scroll/wheel signals.

Has anyone done this, and is there a reason to not have this function?

 - Nathan