Re: [gpm] adjusting monitor brightness with power manager

On Thu, 2007-03-29 at 17:30 +0100, correasilva portugalmail pt wrote:
> hi!
>
> How can i use gnome-power-manager to adjust the monitor brightness?

Define monitor. Do you mean a laptop LCD screen or a external CRT or LCD
display?

> My question is because i installed Ubuntu 6.06 into a MacBook (the
> white one) and i can't adjust that monitor brightness, which is too
> much for me, and i'm affraid of becoming blind from it...

Ahh, if you mean the internal panel, there has just been support added
into HAL for the Macbook.... Checks.... Yes, I committed Ryan Lortie's
patch about a week ago. When HAL 0.5.9 is released, then things should
work for you.

> I tried also console commands similar to xgamma, but i found nothing,
> and from xgamma the result is not that desired...

No, you want to change the physical backlight brightness, rather than
the GAMMA by the sounds of things.

If you are feeling brave, you could try to build a new HAL from source.
When you've got the new HAL running, gnome-power-manager will just work
- where you can set brightness in the preferences or using the
brightness applet in GNOME 2.18.1.

I hope that helps,