Re: [gpm] suspend instead of hibernate when on ac-power

Hello,

First of all, thanks for your reply.

 > Since Feisty, the popup menu to select sleep type has disappeared, so I
 used the Configuration Editor to set sleep type.

Sure, it was removed from the UI as we can make some good guesses about
what the user wants.

I am of a different opinion: the users do not all have the same needs. So let him the choice, as long as it does not complicate things to much. In particular, giving him the choice with a popup about the action to do when idle is not complicated; especially not if the help explains what the different idle types mean.

What is important, is to have good default settings for users that don't want to learn more about the different choices; and here is where your guesses are important. Anyway, these users will only rarely fiddle with the settings. So a button to reset the settings to their default values in the case that they screwed up something would be helpful for them.

In a few words, in my opinion, a button to reset the settings to their default value would have been better instead of removing the choice in the preference panel for the user.

But don't worry about this; it is no problem for me to use the Configuration Editor to change settings. (As long as I understand what the different keys and values mean.)

I'm guessing the policy is set to hibernate, but that fails for some
reason, so g-p-m tries to suspend instead. Does this make things
clearer?
If you can attach the output of gnome-power-manager when the
hibernate is attempted, we can debug this further.

I assume that you mean with "policy" the fact that I set the action_ac_sleep_type to hibernate.

I did not know that if hibernate fails, it would try to suspend... Thanks for telling it to me.

Is this the output you are looking for?  (from /var/log/syslog)

~$ cat /var/log/syslog | grep power-m
Mar 21 15:32:22 UbuntuDesktop gnome-power-manager: (frafu) Hibernating computer because System idle Mar 21 15:32:44 UbuntuDesktop gnome-power-manager: (frafu) An unknown error occured code='32' quark='g-exec-error-quark'
Mar 21 15:32:44 UbuntuDesktop gnome-power-manager: (frafu) Resuming computer
Mar 21 15:32:44 UbuntuDesktop gnome-power-manager: (frafu) hibernate failed
Mar 21 16:02:42 UbuntuDesktop gnome-power-manager: (frafu) DBUS timed out, but recovering
Mar 21 16:02:42 UbuntuDesktop gnome-power-manager: (frafu) Resuming computer

Otherwise, please tell me where I can find what you are looking for.

Francesco