Re: [gpm] How can I make my laptop suspend after 1 hour then hibernate after 2 hours?

On Thu, 2007-07-05 at 18:51 -0400, Jason Spiro wrote:
> 2007/6/29, Richard Hughes <hughsient gmail com> wrote:
> > On Fri, 2007-06-29 at 15:53 -0600, Jason Spiro wrote:
> > > How can I make my laptop suspend after 1 hour of inactivity then
> > > hibernate 2 hours after it suspends?
> >
> > We have the API for that in place already. The HAL Suspend(i) method
> > takes an argument of the number of seconds to wake up in. Unfortunately,
> > we don't get any indication if the wake-up was because we woke up from
> > the timeout or woke up from another event, e.g. lid open.
> >
> > The biggest problem is that few BIOS's support this
>
> My Windows laptop's BIOS seems to support the feature I'm requesting
> fine; that laptop runs Windows.  My FreeBSD laptop?  I dunno; I don't
> use power management on that laptop.[1]

Heh, I would stick to Linux for PM. :-)

> > and the kernel
> > interface for the wakeup time is absolutely abhorrent. The interface is
> > being improved IIRC, but it remains that some hardware just doesn't
> > work.
>
> :-(

Sure, if you know your hardware can work, then you can help me test
this.

> > Work in this area would be great, in fact, if you can do some research
> > in to the new interface for wakeup events I can hack this into the hal
> > scripts for testing.
>
> What information would you like me to find out for you?

Can you see here and give it a go?

http://www.mail-archive.com/linux-acpi vger kernel org/msg05924.html