Re: [gpm] Demand Response

On Thu, 2007-07-05 at 15:01 -0400, Bryan Quigley wrote:
> Hello,
> "In electricity grids, demand response (DR) refers to mechanisms to
> manage the demand from customers in response to supply conditions, for
> example, having electricity customers reduce their consumption at
> critical times or in response to market prices." -Wikipedia
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demand_response

News to me. :-)

> I am interested in knowing if anyone has considered adding this
> capability to Gnome-Power-Manager.  It would need to be location aware
> amongst other things.

Hmm. Is this not a security flaw? How would this be implemented?

> And if not, how difficult do you think it would be to implement?

Using stuff like avahi you would still have to do some sort of RMI or
RPC protocol.

> (I would be using some sort of web-based communication with the
> utility, instead of any communication over the power lines.)

Instead of thinking of the system as a 'high power user that we can tell
to reduce power' we are aiming for a model that is a 'low power user
that only becomes high when the user is actually working'. I.e. what I'm
trying to say is that you can only save at most a couple of watts if you
dim the screen as everything else should be throttled down, even when on
AC, and then most users would turn the screen back up anyway.

>From a powersaving point of view, it's like turning down the heaters in
winter or the air conditioning in summer - users are always going to
complain and turn it right back up. :-)