[gpm] hal failed to suspend

Hi,

I'm acquainting myself with gnome-power-manager. The gconf keys for
suspend and hibernate are set to TRUE and all other functions of g-p-m
seem to work. However, whenever I click on hibernate (or suspend) from
the panel applet (or from gnome's shutdown menu), I get a hal error
popup that says "Hal failed to Hibernate/Suspend please see the FAQ".
Also, I'm running a kernel that supports suspend2 and can hibernate
using the command line via "sudo hibernate" which works fine. I'm on
archlinux and I suspect it could be my configuration. My hibernate
scripts are the standard ones and I can see that the hibernate script
is supported. Hal could be blocking g-p-m from executing suspend? How
can I rectify this. Sorry for the long post and thanks for any
assistance

dennis