[gpm] Running on Battery missing

I have hooked my PC up to an APC UPC and connected the supplied USB cable. I then get a battery icon in the icon tray on my Fedora Core 5 machine. When choosing the Preferences menu option here or from the System/Preference/More Preferences menu I notice that the 'Running on Battery' tab is missing which I saw in the on-line documentation. As such, I cannot change the 'what if' settings to shutdown when the battery reaches critical. I have tested it when removing AC power. I get frequent warnings from the little battery icon that I'm running low on power but when the battery is done for, the power is cut but before the machine ever tried to shutdown. Could anyone please cast some light here.
Thanks
Tiaan

--
NetSys International (Pty) Ltd.
Tel : +27 12 349 2056

The information contained in this communication is confidential and may be
legally privileged. It is solely for use of the individual or entity to whom
is addressed and others authorised to receive it. If you are not the intended
recipient you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution
or taking of any action in reliance on the contents of this information is
strictly prohibited and may be unlawful.

This Message has been scanned for viruses and dangerous content by the NetSys
International Mail Scanner and is believed to be clean.