[gpm] Missing Icons

For a while gnome-power-manager wasn't displaying my battery status
correctly, so I built and installed 2.17.1 (I believe) myself, which
corrected the problem.  When I later went back to the Ubuntu Edgy
package, the icons all seem to be missing; I just have a white box with
a red X instead of the battery icons.  I'm assuming something is
pointing in the wrong direction thanks to my brief foray into self-built
packages.  I've tried to do a "complete removal" and "reinstall" of the
Ubuntu package, but still have the problem.  Any suggestions on why this
might be happening and what I can do to correct it?

Thanks,

Nathan