[gpm] hal/gnome-power-manager brightness control

gnome-power-manager brightness options are missing here on my laptop. hal doesn't detect my panel. i can control it via software using the file
 /proc/acpi/video/GFX0/LCD
the format of the file is like this;

levels:  8 4 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
current: 4

the numbers on the first line is the available levels. not sure why there is redundancy there.
the second line is the current brightness, not surprisingly.
echoing (into that file) a simple number between 1 and 8, inclusive, will change the brightness.
i tried sticking support for this into the hal brightness scripts in /usr/share/hal, by removing the checks and simply preforming the necessary actions, but g-p-m didn't seem to pick up on it, so i guess i did it wrong.
attached is my lshal. i'd love to see support for this in g-p-m/hal.
anyway, thanks for your time.