Re: [gpm] hal/gnome-power-manager brightness control

On Mon, 2006-11-27 at 23:35 -1000, Alec Burney wrote:
> gnome-power-manager brightness options are missing here on my laptop.
> hal doesn't detect my panel. i can control it via software using the
> file
>  /proc/acpi/video/GFX0/LCD
> the format of the file is like this;
>
> levels:  8 4 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
> current: 4
>
> the numbers on the first line is the available levels. not sure why
> there is redundancy there.

On AC, On Battery, Supported states. The first two are normally ignored
by the BIOS.

> the second line is the current brightness, not surprisingly.
> echoing (into that file) a simple number between 1 and 8, inclusive,
> will change the brightness.
> i tried sticking support for this into the hal brightness scripts
> in /usr/share/hal, by removing the checks and simply preforming the
> necessary actions, but g-p-m didn't seem to pick up on it, so i guess
> i did it wrong.

Well, HAL needs to have the laptop_panel capability added - you can do
this manually for now if you want in an fdi file - but all this will
work soon... see below.

> attached is my lshal. i'd love to see support for this in g-p-m/hal.
> anyway, thanks for your time.

Well, backlight support is very quickly being added to the kernel, and I
think acpi video support is recently merged, or very close. HAL support
for the backlight class is also very close, so in a few weeks, this
should "just work" for you. Well, assuming you install a new kernel and
HAL.

Hope that helps,