Re: [gpm] GPM Broken on FC5

Chris Spencer wrote:
Fedora's native GPM package has never worked for me, so I tried the one on utopia. Now I don't even see the icon in my panel, even when the gnome-power-manager process is running. Before, there was a "Suspend" button in my System menu, although it just caused my PC to crash. Now it doesn't even show that. Is GPM supposed to work on Fedora, or does the kernel not yet support this functionality?

For FC5, (When I'm not running the 2.15.x series) I do the following things to make things more sane.

1) Set the gconf setting of "/apps/gnome-power-manager/can_suspend" to "false" That will get rid of the "Suspend" option from the "System" menu.

gconftool-2 -s -t bool /apps/gnome-power-manager/can_suspend false

2) Rebuild from src.rpm after removing the --disable-actions-menu from the %configure in the .spec file. This puts the "action" menu back into the gpm icon in the notification area.

I'll spare you my (mostly) rant about who incredibly broken the integration of gpm is in FC5. Gpm is great, but it seems to me the movers of Fedora at RH live in a fantasy world, thinking that the world actually is how they think it should be.

The "System" menu should have a "Sleep" option, and that should execute whatever the user has set for the "Sleep type when inactive", instead of just the "suspend" method... IF that is set as do nothing (which should be the default considering the state of suspend and hibernate in the Linux kernel) they that "Sleep" item on the "System" menu should present a dialog that allows the user to set the power preferences or "cancel".

Also, is there any kind of "suspend" or "hibernate" command we can use from the shell, in case the GPM gui isn't working?

See here:

http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gnome-power-manager-list/2006-June/msg00020.html

But to hibernate I think you want:

dbus-send --system --print-reply --dest=org.freedesktop.Hal \
/org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/computer \
org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.SystemPowerManagement.Hibernate

Andrew