Re: [gpm] How to allow non-root users to suspend laptop?

On Mon, 2006-06-26 at 23:21 -0500, Paul Johnson wrote:
> I'm running the g-p-m and hal from the utopia server.  About 2 or 3
> weeks ago, a change occurred that prevented nonroot users from
> suspending or hibernating.

Sorry for the delay, just got back from GUADEC.

The non-root issue was the removal of console-helper from pm-utils as it
was agreed that non-root stuff should use a dbus method (thus allowing
us to use PolicyKit or dbus lockdown).

> Can you tell me if there is a configuration change that will allow
> ordinary users to suspend?

Yes. Try this:

dbus-send --system --print-reply --dest=org.freedesktop.Hal \
/org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/computer \
org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.SystemPowerManagement.Suspend \
int32:0

or use something like g-p-m that provides a per-session Suspend() method... :-)

Hope that helps,