Re: [gpm] gpm and suspend2

> Notice the line with "dbus-monitor too dumb to decipher arg type "??

Nothing to worry about, it's just the structure HAL uses that
dbus-monitor doesn't understand.

> I should also mention that I am using NetworkManager-0.5.2. From what I can tell
> it trys to disable the wireless pcmcia card but then re-initialises it.

Yes, disables it on hibernate, re-enables it on resume.

> Also I have changed /usr/share/hal/scripts/hal-system-power-hibernate from
>
> POWERSAVED_SUSPEND2DISK="dbus-send --system --dest=com.novell.powersave \
>                          --print-reply /com/novell/powersave \
>                          com.novell.powersave.action.SuspendToDisk"
>
> POWERSAVED_SUSPEND2DISK="dbus-send --system --dest=com.gentoo.powersave \
>                          --print-reply /com/gentoo/powersave \
>                          com.gentoo.powersave.action.SuspendToDisk"
>
> As another GPM user mentioned that this was a Gentoo bug. But it still doesn't work.

Does:

dbus-send --system --dest=com.gentoo.powersave \
                   --print-reply /com/gentoo/powersave \
                   com.gentoo.powersave.action.SuspendToDisk

work? What about :

/usr/sbin/hibernate

You might have to be using the latest / suspend2 for this to work.

> Here is my complete /usr/share/hal/scripts/hal-system-power-hibernate
>
> #!/bin/sh
>
> POWERSAVED_SUSPEND2DISK="dbus-send --system --dest=com.gentoo.powersave \
>                          --print-reply /com/gentoo/powersave \
>                          com.gentoo.powersave.action.SuspendToDisk"
>
> unsupported() {
>         echo org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.SystemPowerManagement.NotSupported >&2
>         echo No hibernate script found >&2
>         exit 1
> }
>
> #SuSE and ALTLinux only support powersave
> if [ -f /etc/altlinux-release ] || [ -f "/etc/SuSE-release" ] ; then
>         if [ -x /usr/bin/powersave ] ; then
>                 $POWERSAVED_SUSPEND2DISK
>                 RET=$?
>         else
>                 unsupported
>         fi
>
> #RedHat/Fedora only support pm-utils
> elif [ -f /etc/redhat-release ] || [ -f /etc/fedora-release ] ; then
>         if [ -x /usr/sbin/pm-hibernate ] ; then
>                 /usr/sbin/pm-hibernate
>                 RET=$?
>         else
>                 unsupported
>         fi
>
> #Other distros just need to have *any* tools installed
> else
>         if [ -x "/usr/bin/powersave" ] ; then
>                 $POWERSAVED_SUSPEND2DISK
>                 RET=$?
>         elif [ -x "/usr/sbin/pmi" ] ; then
>                 /usr/sbin/pmi action hibernate force
>                 RET=$?
>         elif [ -x "/usr/sbin/pm-hibernate" ] ; then
>                 /usr/sbin/pm-hibernate
>                 RET=$?
>         elif [ -x "/usr/sbin/hibernate" ] ; then
>                 # Suspend2 tools installed
>                 /usr/sbin/hibernate --force
>                 RET=$?
>         elif [ -w "/sys/power/state" ] ; then
>                 # Use the raw kernel sysfs interface
>                 echo "disk" > /sys/power/state
>                 RET=$?
>         else
>                 unsupported
>                 fi
>         fi
>
> exit $RET
>

> I have the /usr/sbin/hibernate script and it has permissions of -rwxr-xr-x

You can also stick some "echo foo >> /tmp/debugging.txt" in that script,
to see what is happening.

Give that a go.