Re: [gpm] Untangling the sleep hotkey mess

On Mon, 2006-01-09 at 16:14 -0500, Dmitry Torokhov wrote:
> On 1/9/06, Richard Hughes <hughsient gmail com> wrote:
> >
> > * All ACPI keyboard events would come through /proc/acpi/event as hkey's
> > * You could change the brightness on *any* lcdpanel by doing a simple
> >  #echo 3 > /proc/acpi/video/brightness
> > * You could get the number of brightness levels supported doing
> >  #cat /proc/acpi/video/brightness_levels
> >

> And what do you do if:
>
> 1. You don't have ACPI available (other platforms)

Maybe use sysfs then, and make a (simple) generic file interface. Other
platforms like pmu use a radically different interface (ioctls
on /dev/pmu, or reading /dev/apm) and this is already abstracted away
using HAL.

> 2. APM works better for some reason

Then hotkeys won't work -- I'm not sure how this is handled in apm
currently.

> 3. The hotkey (sleep, power, etc) does not come from ACPI?

You mean from keyboard, well, treat them like any other scan-codes.