Re: [gpm] Untangling the sleep hotkey mess

On Mon, Jan 09, 2006 at 10:19:00AM +0800, Yu Luming wrote:

> Re: dev_acpi:
> The key point is AML code shouldn't be exposed in userspace. It is too ugly.

It may be ugly, but it /works/. We can't predict what vendors will do in
terms of providing hotkey support in future, and exposing a limited
interface to userspace would probably just result in it having to be
extended later on, which again forces us into kernel patching.

With my Ubuntu hat on:

dev_acpi would make life a lot easier for us than the current solutions.
A single userspace application has the advantage that it can be
maintained in a nice cross-distribution way, and we can rapidly fold in
extra support based on testing reports.

--
Matthew Garrett | mjg59 srcf ucam org